Monday, April 22, 2013

Sermon #100

Today I scanned Pa's 100th sermon, "The New Birth." With this milestone, I am officially a little under one-fifth of the way through scanning the entire collection.

"The New Birth" was first preached in Ilasco, Missouri, on August 11, 1946, and was delivered a total of 27 times over the course of my great-grandfather's career. It was last preached at Walton Chapel, a little congregation not far from my hometown, on March 29, 1987, just a little under one year before I was born. The scripture text is John 3:1-15.

Though I'm not exactly sure where, it was apparently the last sermon he preached at one of the churches he pastored. An admiring parishioner gave him this note:



Also, on a bit of a morbid note, I found a newspaper clipping among the supplementary materials in this sermon's folder. On the front is a Sunday school lesson, but the back includes a brief article about a local tragedy in which a family of three was killed in a house fire. The town of Patterson is about 15-20 minutes away from my home town of Williamsville, MO.




No comments:

Post a Comment